Outdoor Fiber Termination Box Technical specifiation of STC-TS 3118
1.1.1 This specification covers the minimum standards and requirements for the construction, properties,
testing and packing of the outdoor Fiber Termination Box (FTB) and its accessories, to be supplied to
Saudi Telecom Company (STC).
1.1.2 This specification does not cover the standards and requirements for pigtails which are specified in
specification no. TS 3309.
1.2 Intended Use
1.2.1 The FTB shall be used to provide a fiber termination point with test facilities between drop cables and
inside wiring for customer’s building. The FTB shall be installed in the customer building's outside
wall or designated communication room.
1.2.2 The FTB shall be available in four choices of built-in fiber termination capacities as the followings:
- FTB with 2 fiber capacity in box type 1.
- FTB with 4 fiber capacity in box type 1.
- FTB with 12 fiber capacity in box type 2.
- FTB with 24 fiber capacity in box type 2.
1.3 Long Term Performance Requirements
1.3.1 The FTB supplied in compliance with this specification shall be capable of withstanding the typical
service conditions of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for a period of twenty-five (25) years without
detriment to the transmission or operation and maintenance characteristics of products.
1.3.2 The FTB shall be designed, manufactured and packaged so that the physical, transmission and
operation and maintenance characteristics shall not degrade when exposed to the environmental
conditions of Saudi Arabia and the expected environmental conditions during storage and
transportation outside of the Kingdom. The environmental conditions of Saudi Arabia may include
ambient air temperature variations from -10C to +55C. In addition, direct solar radiation is known to
increase the temperature to approximately 70C.
1.4 Reserved Right
1.4.1 The Saudi Telecom Company (STC) reserves the rights to make changes to this Specification without
1.4.2 The Saudi Telecom Company (STC) cannot guarantee if any of the standards and requirements of this
specification is not covered or protected by copyright or patent of third party.
1.5 Associated Specifications
1.5.1 The following list of international and national standards shall be applied, and deemed to be an
integral part of this specification:
TS 3309: STC technical specification for Patch Cords, Pigtails, Fiber Cords & Mechanical Connectors
ISO 9002-2008: Quality Management Systems for Quality Assurance in Production, Installation, and Servicing.
IEC 529: Degree of Protection Provided by Enclosures (IP54).
ASTM B 117: Standard Method of Salt Spray (Fog) Testing.
ASTM D 1330: Standard Specification for Rubber- Sheet Gaskets.
ASTM D 2562: Standard Practice for Classifying Visual Defects in Parts Molded from Reinforced Thermosetting Plastics.
ASTM D 2563: Standard Practice for Classifying Visual Defects in Glass-Reinforced Plastic Laminate Parts.
ASTM D 2565: Standard Practice for Operating Arc-Type Light Exposure Apparatus with and without Water for Exposure of Plastics.
ASTM D 3935: Standard Specification for Polycarbonate (PC) Unfilled and Reinforced Material.
ASTM D 4507: Standard Specification for Thermoplastic Polyester (TPES) Materials and Reinforced Material.
A device mounted on the patch panel, used to mechanically align, couple and mate or join two plug-in
optical connectors of patch cords and pigtails.
A device means for providing a readily separable plug-in connection between two optical fibers using
a matching adapter.
Connector – LC/APC:
A type of optical connector with LC (Lucent Connector) connection and APC (Angle Physical Contact)
polished fiber end-face.
Single fiber cable pre-assembled with a connector at both ends, type LC/APC.
A plate used to mount standard adapters or through connectors.
A short length of single fiber cable pre-assembled with a connector at one end and the other end
being connected to the OSP fiber cable by fusion splicing.
A plastic holder with grooves, used to secure the fusion or mechanical splice protection sleeves
inside the splice tray. Each holder normally contains up to six heat-shrink splice protectors.
A plastic tray used to neatly contain fiber splices and spare fiber lengths.
2. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
2.1.1 The FTB shall be compatible with current STC installation standards and operation and maintenance
2.1.2 Any alternative proposals for Type and Acceptance Testing will be subjected to technical evaluation
by the STC with regards to satisfactory compliance with the material and product qualities implied by this specification.
2.1.3 The FTB shall be designed and constructed to be suitable for outdoor installations, either flushmounted, surface-mounted on concrete walls or pole mounted. The Installation of the FTB shall
require only simple hand-tools.
2.1.4 All components of the FTB shall be of high quality design and workmanship. The boxes shall be free from flaws, pinholes, bubbles, cracks, inclusions, or other defects which are visible with the naked eye. The boxes shall exhibit a uniform finish both inside and outside.
2.1.5 The FTB shall allow termination, splicing, storage and management of optical fibers contain within.
2.1.6 The FTB shall employ a fiber management system such that all fibers are properly routed and secured. All points in the fiber path shall maintain a minimum bending radius of 30 mm.
2.1.7 The FTB shall be sturdy and impact-resistant against damage during placing or installation operations.
2.1.8 The FTB shall be dust-proof, splash watertight, weather proof, and prevent corrosion to the hardware contained within.
2.1.9 The overall appearance of the installed FTB shall be reasonably aesthetically pleasing.
2.1.10 All material used in the FTB shall be non-toxic and dermatologically safe.
2.2 Design Requirements
The FTB shall be designed according to the requirements specified below.
184.108.40.206 Materials: Glass fiber reinforced polyester or polycarbonate conforming to clauses (2.3.1) & (2.3.2).
220.127.116.11 Wall thickness: 3.2 mm , Minimum.
18.104.22.168 Outside dimensions (mm), approximately:
- Type1: 150mm(Height) x 120mm(Width) x 50mm(Depth)
- Type2: 200mm(height) x 300mm (width) x 100mm(Depth)
- Or other suitably sized, corresponding to the number of fiber terminations or splices, to allow efficient fiber management and easy access to all components.
22.214.171.124 Assembly: Shall consist of a base and a lockable cover.
126.96.36.199 Entry holes for cables: Sufficient number of grommeted entry holes or knockout inserts shall be provided at top and bottom panels for the full complement of incoming cables.
188.8.131.52 Exit holes for distribution fiber cords: Sufficient number of grommeted entry holes or knockout
inserts shall be provided at top and bottom panels for the full complement of fiber cords.
184.108.40.206 Mounting of box: Minimum of 4 mounting bolts for wall mounting.
2.2.2 Cable Clamp Hardware
220.127.116.11 Assembly: The cable clamp hardware shall be able to grip the cables securely.
18.104.22.168 Application: Shall be fixed in proximity to the cable entry holes to secure the incoming cable.
2.2.3 Fiber Guide Rings
22.214.171.124 Application: Shall be fixed at specific points along the fiber path to provide proper fiber management and bend control.
2.2.4 Rubber Seals
126.96.36.199 Material: Shall be conforming to clause 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 Rubber gaskets: Shall be provided between all mating surfaces, i.e. cover and base.
220.127.116.11 Grommet: Shall be push-through type.
2.2.5 Door or Cover
18.104.22.168 Materials: Shall be conforming to clause 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199 Wall thickness: 3.2 mm, Minimum.
- The door or cover shall be protrude outside the surface of the wall opening and covers the outside perimeter.
- The door or cover shall be removable and replaceable.
- The door or cover shall be hinged on right side of housing to swing from left to right with Opening angle 105° min.
- The door or cover shall be equipped with a retainer mechanism to secure the cover
188.8.131.52 Locking system: Latch-type Locking system that can be opened by STC standard Hexagonal Key as shown in Appendix 4.
- STC’s color logo printed or molded on the outside surface with suitably size corresponding to the outer
dimension of the box.
- Manufacturer’s logo on the inside surface.
2.2.6 Patch Panel (Plate)
184.108.40.206 Type: LC panel for mounting LC-type adapters.
220.127.116.11 Termination capacity
- Box Type 1: 4 adapter patch panel for fiber terminations.
- Box Type 2: 24 adapter patch panel for fiber terminations.
18.104.22.168 Mounting profile of adapter: Flat or angled.
22.214.171.124 Assembly of adapters/connectors: Shall maintain an unobstructed and easy access to all connectors for installation and maintenance.
126.96.36.199 Labeling of adapter position: Shall be labeled according to Clause 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 Mounting of patch panel
- Shall be mounted separately and with sufficient space from the splice trays.
- Shall allow front or side patching.
220.127.116.11 Guide rings or routing clips: Shall be equipped with panel-specific guide rings or routing clips for proper management of fiber cords.
2.2.7 Splice Tray
18.104.22.168 Material: High quality plastic.
22.214.171.124 Type of splice holder: Snap-on type for heat-shrink splice protectors or mechanical connectors.
126.96.36.199 Splice holder capacity
- Type 1; 1 splice tray or build-in splice holders into the base of the box with 8 holders for incoming and
outgoing fibers splicing to pigtails.
- Type 2; 2 splice trays, each with 24 holders for incoming and outgoing fibers splicing to pigtails.
188.8.131.52 Fiber length storage: 1000 mm, minimum, each primary coated fiber.
184.108.40.206 Fiber bend radius inside tray: 38 mm, minimum.
220.127.116.11 Mounting of trays
- Shall be secured to the base via a central element for
- Shall be removable to allow off-wall splicing
- Shall be equipped with fasteners for securing loose buffer tubes and pigtails at entry points of the tray.
- Shall be equipped with internal fiber bend control/guide mechanism to keep excess fiber lengths in neat coils.
- Shall be equipped with a removable cover plate.
- Shall allow unobstructed access to individual trays and splices without affecting adjacent trays.
18.104.22.168 Guide or routing clips: Shall be equipped with tray-specific guide rings or routing clips for proper management of pigtails and loose tubes.
2.2.8 Adapter (Thru-Connector)
22.214.171.124 Type of adapter: LC through-adapter (4 units of adapters for type 1 and 24 unit of adapters for type 2).
126.96.36.199 Insertion loss: 0.1 dB (typical)
188.8.131.52 Type of fiber compatibility: Single mode
184.108.40.206 Types of mounting: LC shall be mounted by snap in latch type or fixed by means of 2 screws on square flange.
220.127.116.11 Adapter housing: Durable plastic or other approved equivalent
18.104.22.168 Number labels for each adapter position
- Number labels, of minimum 8x8 mm, shall be provided for each connector/adapter position.
- Numbering sequence for adapter positions shall be as shown in Appendix 1 & 2.
2.2.10 FTB Accessories
Pigtails with LC/APC connectors shall be provided as the followings to terminate the incoming drop cable:
Pigtail shall be supplied conforming to the standard and requirements of TS 3309 (Pigtail LC/APC, 0.9mm Diameter, MIC Number: 3147044).
22.214.171.124 Splice protection sleeve
- Type: Heat-shrinkable sleeve, for fusion splice.
- Length: 40 mm or 60 mm
- Assembly: Shall compose of stainless steel needle, hot-melt adhesive tube, and a cross linked polyethylene heatshrinkable tube.
126.96.36.199 Protective tube set
- Type: Spiral tube, white, 1m long, 15-17 mm inside diameter
- Application: Routing and protecting pigtails.
2.3 Material Properties and Test Requirements
The FTB shall meet all the material properties and test requirements as specified below. The
requirements of this section refer to completed cable, or material removed from completed cable,
unless specifically identified otherwise:
2.3.1 Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyester
188.8.131.52 Heat distortion temperature: 200°C, minimum, DIN 53438
184.108.40.206 Tensile strength, 70 - 90 MPa, minimum, DIN 53455
220.127.116.11 Modulus of elasticity, 5 - 7 GPa, DIN 53455
18.104.22.168 Impact resistance, 50 - 70 kJ/m2, DIN 53453
2.3.2 Glass Fiber Reinforced Polycarbonate
22.214.171.124 Dimensional stability, 126°C, minimum, DIN 5361 Method A
126.96.36.199 Tensile strength, 35 MPa, minimum, DIN 5355
188.8.131.52 Modulus of elasticity, 1850 MPa, DIN 5357
184.108.40.206 Impact resistance, 30 - 40 kJ/m2, DIN 5353
2.3.3 Water Absorption
- 0.1%, maximum.
- No warping, cracking or change in appearance after immersion.
- ASTM D 570
2.3.4 Ultraviolet Resistance
- No blistering, checking, Delamination, fading or other indication of appreciable deterioration
- ASTM D 2565
2.3.5 Environmental Protection
- IP 54 rating:
- Protected against dust, limited ingress permitted but no harmful deposits and protected against water sprayed from all directions, limited ingress permitted.
- IEC 529
2.3.6 Elastomer Seals
220.127.116.11 Ozone Test: Critical elongation
- 40 %, minimum, Duration: 96 hrs at 30°C, Ozone content: 50 pphm
- ISO 1431
18.104.22.168 Tightness Test: Permanent deformation
- 30 %, maximum, Duration: 24 hrs at -10°C
- ISO 1653
3 . OTHER REQUIREMENTS
3.1.1 Each FTB and its accessories shall be packed such that all components for a complete unit meet the
3.1.2 All the components/parts for the FTB as described in this specification shall be provided as a
complete assembly and as one packaged unit.
3.1.3 The individual FTB packages may be multi-packed in strong, weather resistant carton boxes suitable
for shipping, handling and storage. The weight of each multi-packed carton shall not exceed 25 kg.
3.1.4 The FTB shall be completely assembled (Ready to install) with the following components:
- Housing equipped with base and cover and Patch panel (Plate).
- No. of required Splice trays, equipped with splice holders.
- No of required LC Adapters (4 for Type 1 and 24 for Type 2) and Numbering labels.
- Cable clamp hardware and fiber guide rings or clips.
- 2 Pigtails, single mode, LC/APC connector for Type 1.
- 24 Pigtails, single mode, LC/APC connector for Type 2.
- No. of required fusion splice protection sleeve for each type.
- Protective tube set and adapter cap for stand by adapter.
3.1.5 The FTB and its accessories shall be covered with a protective material to prevent scratching or
damage during shipping or storage, prior to placing the items into the packing carton.
3.1.6 Each unit of FTB shall be supplied with complete installation instructions, in English and Arabic, for
the assembly of parts.
- 3.2.1 Each individual crate and carton shall be marked in legible color with the following information, in
- Arabic and English, on at least two sides of the package and the carton box.
- Saudi Telecom Company (STC), Saudi Arabia.
- Name of the item (according to section 3.3).
- MIC Number (according to section 3.3).
- Country of Origin.
- Manufacturer's Name or Trademark.
- Month and Year of Manufacture.
3.3 STC Standard Edit Name and Mic. Numbers
- Fiber Termination Box (FTB), Outdoor, 2 - 4 Fibers 3146989
- Fiber Termination Box (FTB), Outdoor, 12 - 24 Fibers 3146978
Appendix 1: FTB Functional Layout for type 1
Appendix 2: FTB Functional Layout for type 2
Appendix 3: FTB Functional Blocks Diagram for type 1 & 2