Optical Distribution Frame Specificaiton STC TS 3304
1.1.1 This specification covers the minimum standards and requirements for the construction, properties, testing and packing of The Optical Distribution Frame (ODF) and its accessories, with capacity range of 24 up to 144 Fibers, to be supplied to Saudi Telecom Company (STC).
1.1.2 This specification does not cover the standards and requirements for pigtails, which specified in specification no. TS 3309. The pigtails shall be supplied as integrated components of the ODF.
1.2 Intended Use
1.2.1 ODF equipment shall be used in STC exchanges and the main equipment room in customer buildings where the transmission equipment are provided and owned by STC.
1.2.2 ODF equipment shall be used to provide an interface point for performing each of the following functions:
- Terminating outside plant (OSP) fiber optic cables entering the exchange or customer building.
- Terminating Fiber Optic Transmission System (FOTS) equipment patch cords.
- Mounting and protecting fiber optic cable splices.
- Interconnecting or cross-connecting OSP circuits with FOTS equipment circuits.
- Testing of OSP fiber optic cable facilities.
1.3 Long Term Performance Requirements
1.3.1 The ODF equipment supplied in compliance with this specification shall be capable of withstanding the typical service conditions of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for a period of twenty five (25) years without detriment to the transmission or operation and maintenance characteristics of the product.
1.3.2 The ODF equipment shall be designed, manufactured and packaged so that the physical, transmission and operation and maintenance characteristics shall not degrade when exposed to the environmental conditions of Saudi Arabia and the expected environmental conditions during storage and transportation outside of the Kingdom. The environmental conditions of Saudi Arabia may include ambient air temperature variations from -10℃ to +55℃. In addition, direct solar radiation is known to increase the temperature to approximately 70℃.
1.4 Reserved Right
1.4.1 The Saudi Telecom Company (STC) reserves the rights to make changes to this Specification without prior notice.
1.4.2 The Saudi Telecom Company (STC) cannot guarantee if any of the standards and requirements of this specification are not covered or protected by copyright or patent of third party.
1.5 Associated Specifications
1.5.1 The following unattached international and/ or national standards shall be applied, and deemed to be an integral part of this specification:
220.127.116.11 Specifications and Standards References for ODF equipment:
- ETS 300 019 Equipment Engineering; Environmental Conditions and Environmental Tests for Telecommunications Equipment
- ETS 300 119 Equipment Engineering; European Telecommunication Standard for Equipment Practice.
- ASTM A 366 Standard Specification for Steel, Sheet, Carbon, Cold-Rolled, Commercial Quality.
- ASTM D 662 Method of Evaluating Degree of Erosion of Exterior Paints
18.104.22.168 Specifications and Standard References for Optical Connectors and Adapters
- GR 326-CORE Issue-3 Sept. 1999 Generic Requirements for Single Mode Optical Connectors and Jumper Assemblies-Telcordia Technologies
- ITU-T Rec.G.657A Optical Fiber Specifications as issued by International Telecommunication Union
- TIA/EIA-455-604 Optical Fiber Connector Intermateability Standards.
- TIA/EIA-455-21(FOCIS-21) Mating Durability for Fiber Optic Interconnecting Devices.
- IEC 60068-2-6 Test Fc: Vibration (Sinusoidal).
- IEC 60068-2-14 Test Nb: Change of temperature with Specified Rate of Change.
- IEC 60874-1 Connectors for Optical Fibers and Cables.
- IEC 61300-2-5 Fiber Optic Interconnecting Devices and Passive Components - Basic Test and Measurement Procedures - Test Part 2-5: Examination and Measurements – Torsion/Twist.
- IEC 61300-3-3 Fiber Optic Interconnecting Devices and Passive Components - Basic Test and Measurement Procedures - Test Part 3-3: Examination and Measurements - Monitoring Change in Attenuation and in Return Loss (Multiple Paths).
- IEC 60304 or RAL 1013 & 9002 Color shades to match these standards
- UL 94 Tests of Flammability of Plastic Materials for Parts in Devices and Appliances.
- ASTM G 21 Resistance of Synthetic Polymeric materials to Fungi and Bacteria.
- ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems – Standardized Requirements
1.6 Definitions and Abbreviations
Optical Distribution Frame (ODF):
A rack mounted equipment used as an interface between the OSP fiber cable and equipment cables in fiber optic network , it consists of metal housing with sliding or pivoting drawers that accommodate patch panel, splice trays, storage for excess fibers, and other accessories.
A means of providing a readily separable plug-in connection between two optical fibers. As a rule, the insertion loss of a connector is higher than the transmission loss of a splice.
A type of optical connector with LC (Lucent Connector) connection and APC (Angle Physical Contact) polished fiber end-face.
Single fiber cable pre-assembled with a connector at both ends, type LC/APC. This cable connects between two termination points, e.g., from ODF to optical line equipment, ODF to ODF or ODF to test equipment.
A short length of single fiber cable pre-assembled with a connector at one end (e.g., LC/APC), and the other end being connected to the OSP fiber cable by fusion splicing.
A plastic holder with grooves, used to secure the fusion splice protection sleeves inside the splice tray. Each holder normally contains up to six heat-shrink splice protectors.
A metal plate used to mount standard adapters or through-connectors, e.g., LC/APC-type adapters
A plastic or metal tray used to neatly contain fiber splices and spare fiber lengths.
Fiber Termination Module
A combination of splice tray and patch panel in one module or sub-rack for housing the fusion splice connections between incoming fiber cables to the terminating pigtails
ASTM American Society for Testing and Materials.
ETSI European Telecommunication Standards Institute.
IEC International Electrotechnical Commission
ITU-T International Telecommunications Union (Telecommunications Sector).
UL Underwriters Laboratories
2. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
2.1.1 ODF equipment shall be compatible with current STC installation standards and operation and maintenance practices.
2.1.2 Any alternative proposals for Type and Acceptance Testing will be subjected to technical evaluation by the STC to ensure satisfactory compliance with the material and product qualities implied by this specification.
2.1.3 ODF equipment shall provide efficient termination, splicing, storage and management of optical fibers within the system.
2.1.4 ODF equipment shall be designed to allow multiple mounting on a standard metric (ETSI) rack having dimensions in mm of - 2200 (H) x 600-900 (W) x 300 (D). The ODF shall fit exactly onto the rack's 515mm center-to-center hole fixing width dimension, conforming to TS 3308. Additional adapter brackets can be used to meet the need of fixing width dimension, as shown in appendix 1.
2.1.5 ODF equipment, when installed on the standard metric (ETSI) rack, shall provide a minimum space of approximately 80 mm between the side panels of the ODF shelf and rack.
2.1.6 ODF equipment shall be equipped with LC/APC type, Single-mode, optical connectors and adapters.
2.1.7 ODF shall employ a fiber management system such that all fibers (i.e., pigtails, patchcords, OSP buffered fibers) are properly routed and secured. All points in the fiber path shall maintain a minimum bend radius of 30 mm.
2.1.8 ODF equipment shall be designed such that it can be installed, operated and maintained when only front access is available.
2.1.9 The patch panel of ODF equipment shall be designed to allow easy access to the rear of the front plate and the interior of the panel. The design shall satisfy the need for easy access during verification and identification of erminated fibers (e.g., pigtails) in the ODF.
2.1.10 Installation of the ODF equipment shall require only simple hand-tools.
2.1.11 All metal parts of the ODF equipment shall be protected against corrosion.
2.1.12 All polymeric parts shall have a flammability rating of V-0 according to UL 94.
2.1.13 ODF equipment and its accessories shall be of high quality design, workmanship and finish. All components of the ODF shall be free of sharp edges or other defects that may detract from the service requirements of the quipment.
2.2 Design Requirements
ODF and its accessories shall be designed according to the requirements specified as below.
2.2.1 ODF Shelf (Housing)
22.214.171.124 Material: Cold-rolled carbon steel sheets of commercial quality, Class 1, according to ASTM A 366.
126.96.36.199 Finish and Color: Powder coated plain to RAL 1013 or RAL 9002.
188.8.131.52 Termination capacity and Housing dimensions, (mm) maximum.See drawings in Appendix 1.
- 24 fibers ODF maximum dimension: 45mm(Height) x 440mm (Width no bracket) x 280mm (Depth)
- 48 fibers ODF maximum dimension: 90mm(Height) x 440mm (Width no bracket) x 280mm (Depth)
- 72 fibers ODF maximum dimension: 135mm(Height) x 440mm (Width no bracket) x 280mm (Depth)
- 96 fibers ODF maximum dimension: 180mm(Height) x 440mm (Width no bracket) x 280mm (Depth)
- 144 fibers ODF maximum dimension: 225mm(Height) x 440mm (Width no bracket) x 280mm (Depth)
184.108.40.206 Housing assembly
- Assembled with top, base, sides and rear sheet steel panels, and one front door.
- The shelf shall be one level section to accommodate patch panel and splice tray.
220.127.116.11 Entry holes for incoming cables
The shelf shall have grommet holes at the rear portion of side panels to accommodate entry of OSP buffered fibers.
18.104.22.168 Opening for outgoing patchcords
The shelf shall have openings on both side-panels to accommodate patchcords as they exit the shelf.
Door shall be hinged to shelf's base panel and shall open downwards to a full 180° turn.
22.214.171.124 Locking system
Door shall be equipped with one or two latch-type locking mechanism. No key is required.
126.96.36.199 Marking details for ODF identification
Door shall be marked permanently with the following identification:
- ODF 48 Fibers (printed at upper left corner), as shown in appendix 1.
- Manufacturer's name or trademark (printed at the inside surface of door, beside the card label).
2.2.3 Mounting brackets
Mounting brackets shall be fixed on both sides of the shelf for mounting to standard metric ETSI rack.
188.8.131.52 Positioning of brackets
The brackets shall be fixed 32 mm clear from the doors outside surface.
184.108.40.206 Width, center-to-center fixing hole
220.127.116.11 Overall width, end to end
535 mm, maximum.
2.2.4 Fiber Termination Module
High quality plastic or corrosion-free metal plate
LC panel for mounting LC/APC-type adapters
18.104.22.168 Termination capacity
12 units of simplex or duplex LC/APC adapters.
22.214.171.124 Mounting profile of adapters
Frontal, for frontal patching, as shown in appendix 2.
126.96.36.199 Mounting of fiber termination module
- Module shall be mounted in swing or sliding type panel to permit easy installation & maintenance.
- The swing panel shall be hinged to the left side of shelf and shall swing outward to a minimum 90° turn.
- Module, with angled adapters, shall be mounted with sufficient clearance from the door surface, if ODF
- fitted with a door, to accommodate proper routing of patch cords and maintain fiber bend radius.
- The swing-out type panel shall be equipped with a latch-type lock at the right side to secure the panel in the close position.
188.8.131.52 Splice capacity
24 fusion-spliced fibers each module, maximum. Each holder slot preferably shall be dedicated to hold and secure one splice sleeve.
184.108.40.206 Type of splice holder
Snap-on type, for heat shrink splice protectors
220.127.116.11 Fiber length storage capacity
Coil of 1200 mm, minimum, each fiber.
18.104.22.168 Fiber bend radius inside tray
30 mm radius, minimum
- Each Module shall be equipped with fasteners or equivalent, for securing buffered fibers and pigtails at entry points of the tray.
- Each module shall be equipped with internal fiber bend control mechanism to keep excess fiber lengths in neat coils.
- Each module shall be removable to allow off-rack splicing
22.214.171.124 Type of adapter
Simplex or duplex LC/APC adapters (supplied with end caps), green in color
126.96.36.199 Insertion loss
0.1 dB (typical).
188.8.131.52 Type of fiber compatibility
184.108.40.206 Types of mounting
LC coupling square flange, fixed by means of 2 screws
220.127.116.11 Adapter housing
Durable plastic or other approved equivalent
18.104.22.168 Number labels for adapters
- All adapter for each Fiber Termination Module shall be numbered in sequence of 1 to 12 for simplex adapters and 1 to 24 for duplex adapters, as shown in Appendix 2-a.
- The height of the numbers shall be 5 mm maximum.
22.214.171.124 Labels for identification of fiber terminations.
A paper card label for identifications of fiber terminations shall be fastened on the interior surface of the door in front of adapter panel.
2.2.7 Cable Clamp Hardware
The cable clamp hardware shall consist of:
- Clamps to secure up to 18 mm diameter FOC.
- Clamp to secure the FOC strength member.
- Bonding and grounding kit.
Cable clamps shall be fixed in proximity to the cable entry holes at both sides of the shelf to secure the FOC or bunched buffered fibers.
2.2.8 Fiber Guide Mechanism
Fiber guide mechanism shall be provided at specific points of the fiber path, inside and/or outside the ODF shelf, to provide proper fiber management and bend control, e.g.:
- At the back of Fiber Termination Module to secure the pigtails.
- At the rear portion of shelf to secure OSP buffered fibers and pigtails.
- At exit points for the patchcords.
2.2.9 ODF Accessories
Pigtail with LC/APC connectors conforming to the standard and requirements of TS 3309
126.96.36.199 Splice protection sleeve
Type： Heat-shrinkable sleeve, for fusion splice
Length：40 mm or 60 mm.
Assembly：Shall compose of stainless steel needle, hot-melt adhesive tube, and a cross linked polyethylene heatshrinkable tube.
188.8.131.52 Protective tube set
Type： Spiral tube, white, 1m long, 15-17 mm inside diameter
Application： Routing and protecting pigtails
184.108.40.206 Adapter Cap
Type： Plastic, preferably threaded screw-type, compatible with LC connectors
Application： Protective cover for each adapter
220.127.116.11 Rack Mounting Screws & Nuts
Type：Snap-in type hardened spring steel cage nuts, to be used with multi-threaded stainless steel screws
3 . OTHER REQUIREMENTS
3.1.1 Each ODF equipment and its accessories shall be packed such that all components meet the requirements for a complete installation.
3.1.2 All components of the ODF equipment and accessories, as described in this specification, shall be provided as a complete assembly and as one packaged unit, as follows:
18.104.22.168 ODF equipment completely assembled (ready to install) with the following components:
- ODF shelf or housing.
- Door, equipped with latch-type locking system, and identification markings.
- Mounting brackets complete with sufficient fixing bolts or screws and cage nuts; and for 19 inch
- ODF, additional bracket shall be provided to meet the fixing width dimension of the Metric (ETSI) Rack.
- Each Fiber Termination Module, complete with 12 simplex or duplex Adapters and adapter Caps.
- The Module shall be equipped with splice holders.
- Numbering labels for each adapter position.
- Labeling card attached on the inner surface of the door.
- Cable clamp hardware.
- Fiber guide mechanism
22.214.171.124 Accessories(based on ODF capacity):
- Number of required Pigtails, single mode, LC/APC connector, blue jacket.
- Number of required Fusion splice protection sleeve, including spares.
- Number of required Protective tube set.
- Number of required Adapter cap, including spares.
3.1.3 Each ODF package shall be supplied with a complete installation instruction, in Arabic and English,
specifying in details the following
- Assembly of parts.
- Mounting of the ODF to ETSI rack.
- Securing of indoor FOC with cable clamps.
- Routing of pigtails inside Fiber Termination Module.
- Routing of OSP buffered fibers from entry point to Fiber Termination Module.
3.1.4 Each ODF equipment and accessories shall be covered with a protective plastic material to prevent scratching or damage during shipping, handling or storage, prior to placing the items into the packing carton.
3.1.5 The individual packages may be multi-packed in a strong, weather resistant carton boxes suitable for shipping, handling and storage. The weight of each multi-packed carton shall not exceed 25 kg.
3.2.1 Each individual crate and carton shall be marked in legible color with the following information, in Arabic and English, on at least two sides of the package and the carton box.
- Saudi Telecom Company (STC), Saudi Arabia.
- Name of the item (according to section 3.3).
- MIC Number (according to section 3.3).
- Country of Origin.
- Manufacturer's Name or Trademark.
- Month and Year of Manufacture.
3.3 STC Standard Edit Name and Mic. Numbers
1. Optical Distribution Frame and Accessories, 24 Fibers 3147001
2. Optical Distribution Frame and Accessories, 48 Fibers 3146963
3. Optical Distribution Frame and Accessories, 72 Fibers 3146964
5. Optical Distribution Frame and Accessories, 144 Fibers 3146966